Monday, June 1, 2009

On to Benchwork!

Since I am new at this Blogging stuff, I have a lot of ground to cover to bring readers up to the current state of the railroad. Over the next few entries, I intend to do just that.

Below are some pictures of the construction progress of the railroad. The benchwork is typical open grid using 1x3's. This time around I used wall brackets for the benchwork adjacent to the walls. I wanted to have room for storage and eliminate the tendency to knock into legs while working on the railroad. Up to this point the brackets have performed as I expected. The portion of the railroad that is the peninsula (Walnut, Illinois) is supported using 1x4's for legs. I figured if I needed to use legs, I better make them stout! I also added a shelf that helps to solidify the entire peninsula. One of the uses of the shelf will be to provide a place for the DCC equipment.











Thanks for stopping!
More to come!
Scott Stephenson

2 comments:

  1. Scott,

    What's the height of the benchwork?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    The top of the 1x3's are at 44". The top of the foam is 46", with the rail height slightly above that, since I am using cork roadbed.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete