Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Let there be CORK!

After topping the benchwork with 2" Styrofoam, I began the process of laying the cork roadbed. I decided on cork roadbed for several reasons. I like the look of an elevated roadbed and the bevelled edges help when contouring the ballast. I considered using Homasote roadbed, but the cost was more than the cork roadbed.

I began by transferring the CAD drawn trackplan to the Styrofoam. I did this in several ways. I first determined key points on the alignment. For example, the beginning and ending points of a curve (PC and PT) or the Point of Intersection (PI) of a turnout. I then "staked" the PC's, PT's, and PI's based on dimension as measured in the CAD program. To construct the tangent sections was simply an exercise in connecting the dots!
The actual curve portion of the alignment was a little more complicated. I thought about using the old string attached to a secure board with a marker on the other end to mark the radius. Probably would have worked fine. But instead, I actually plotted out the trackplan 1"=1" scale and laid the plot onto the layout and scribed the centerline leaving a slight indentation in the foam. For clarity, I then went back over the indentation with a marker. After the track plan was transferred to the layout, it was just a matter of laying the cork roadbed. I used a liquid nail type product to secure the cork (held overnight with push pins). And let me say, that a little goes a long way when it comes to liquid nails. Lay a bead down for 1/2 of the cork and then spread it with a putty knife. Too much and it will ooze up between the pieces of cork.
What follows are more pictures... this time of the railroad with 90% of the cork installed. You will notice that there are a couple of areas that appear to have large sheets of cork installed rather than the typical roadbed. I did this in areas where there is to be a yard with several tracks/turnouts. I found the 12"x12" sheets of cork at Lowe's Home Improvement. The price was right, so I thought I would give it a try.








Next Up: Track Work!
Thanks for visiting!
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! Your cork roadbed work is a whole lot neater than mine. Mine looks like I cut it with a dull butter knife!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete