Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Progress Update

Now that all of the trackwork is complete, I have been in the process of cleaning and reorganizing the train room. Shifting gears from laying track to now getting into the wiring and scenery aspect of the hobby. I am also going to be starting the process of filling out the Car Cards and Waybills for the car forwarding system I will be using to operate the Dragonfly Sub.

Part of the cleaning process involved opening up boxes of railroad cars that have not seen light for a couple of years! I have concluded that I have a lot of rail cars, considerably more than can be keep on the layout. I will need to build or develop a way to store the cars off the railroad. I call it beyond staging storage.

When a car completes the waybill cycle and ends up at the staging yard, my plan is to pull that car and store it for a couple of sessions. This will add variety to the car movements and prevent the same car from making the same moves each time the railroad is operated. The question is then, what do I use to store the cars, while they are beyond staging? The storage has to be easy to use, allow the cars to be visible, and protect them all at the same time. I have thought about buying some small clear plastic drawer sets and mounting those under the staging yard, but that seems to be a costly option.

I would be interested in hearing what others have done to solve this problem?

Comments/Suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment